Actions

Man hurt carrying burning mattress out of house on Indianapolis' north side

Posted: 6:35 AM, Mar 12, 2018
Updated: 2018-03-12 16:27:05Z
Man hurt carrying burning mattress outside
Man hurt carrying burning mattress outside
Man hurt carrying burning mattress outside
Man hurt carrying burning mattress outside

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man was hospitalized Sunday night after carrying a burning mattress out of a burning house on Indianapolis' north side. 

The fire happened at a home in the 4300 block of Crittenden Avenue around 9:30 p.m.

An Indianapolis Fire Department spokesperson said the man said he lit incense and left it to take a shower. The 24-year-old believed the incense fell from the table to the mattress -- catching it on fire.

Instead of evacuating the house immediately, he pulled the mattress into the front yard, injuring himself. He was hospitalized in serious condition for smoke inhalation. 

The man was living at the house with permission of the owner. 

MORE TOP STORIES |   Boone County deputy shot during pursuit identified, will not survive his injuries  |  What led up to the fatal shooting of a Boone County deputy  Women in Greenwood say strange men are following them around in stores  |  Missing Westfield woman's body found in car pulled from retention pond  |  Anthony Baumgardt: "No remorse" for what happened to Deputy Pickett, man he's accused of shooting

Top Trending Videos