INDIANAPOLIS -- Marsh Supermarkets announced Thursday that nine more Indiana stores would be closing for good by the end of May, that makes 18 stores closing this month.
Six of those stores are in Indianapolis, including two that were announced Thursday on Kentucky Avenue and 86th Street.
The latest flurry of closures comes exactly three weeks after the company announced that nine other stores would be closing, including three in Indianapolis.
“Today we reluctantly announced the closing of nine additional Marsh locations," the company released in a statement on Thursday. "Our decision was solely the product of the difficult competitive environment and in no way reflects on the efforts of the great associates working in these stores.”
Stores Closing on May 21, 2017:
- 8766 E. 96th Street, Fishers
- 3633 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis
- 500 S. Buffalo Street, Warsaw
- 1960 E. Greyhound Pass, Carmel
Stores Closing on May 27, 2017:
- 2002 Stafford Road, Plainfield
- 17901 River Avenue, Noblesville
- 2940 N. Broadway, Anderson
- 5830 W. 86th Street, Indianapolis
- 1900 S. Hoyt Avenue, Muncie
RELATED | Marsh closing nine stores by mid-May
The company had already announced two stores in Greenfield and Indianapolis will be closing on May 6 and seven stores will be closing on May 14.
Stores Closing on May 6, 2017:
- 1240 N State Street, Greenfield
- 2135 N. Post Road, Indianapolis
Stores Closing on May 14, 2017:
- 6243 E. Washington Street, Indianapolis
- 4104 N. Franklin Road, Indianapolis
- 7481 Shadeland Avenue, Indianapolis
- 2021 E. Wabash Street, Frankfort
- 824 N. Third Street, Logansport
- 731 E. Elm Street Union City, OH
- 218 W. Lincoln, Portland
The company is already in the process of closing all of their pharmacies this week and discounted their liquor because they can no longer sell it without a pharmacy.
Before the whirlwind of closures began in January, there were over 70 Marsh Supermarkets and O’Malia Food Markets in Indiana and Ohio. After the May closures, the company will only have 44 stores still open.
Marsh has been an Indiana staple since the company opened their first store in Muncie in 1931. Their headquarters is currently in Indianapolis.
RELATED | Marsh to close longtime Indianapolis store at the end of January | Marsh is closing another Indianapolis store at the end of February | Marsh to close two more Indy stores by mid-April; that makes four in 2017 | Greenfield, Indy Marsh stores closing in May