Police: Evansville murder suspect used pocket knife to kill uncle

EVANSVILLE — An arrest affidavit released Thursday morning says that investigators believe 49-year-old Darryl Foster died after he was stabbed multiple times in the neck with a pocket knife by his nephew.
Foster’s body was discovered inside an apartment on the 800 block of West Virginia Street in Evansville Wednesday afternoon. Evansville police arrested Antonio D. Handley, 28, and preliminarily charged him in with robbery and murder in connection with Foster’s death, according to the Evansville Courier & Press.
According to the affidavit, Handley told police that Foster owed him grocery money from “about a month ago.” It also notes that Handley told authorities that he took jewelry and cash from Foster on Wednesday.
Handley reportedly told investigators that he “poked” Foster several times while his uncle was sitting in a recliner, and could not recall how many times he attacked him, according to the affidavit. Foster attempted to fight back during the attack, police said.
“Handley stated that he kept poking him till he went to sleep and poked him till he knew he was done,” investigators wrote in the affidavit.
Foster was found by police and family members still in the recliner on Wednesday afternoon. According to the affidavit, family members called police when they saw blood at Foster’s apartment. When Foster’s body was found, a woman identified as Foster’s sister and Handley’s aunt told investigators that Handley was acting strangely earlier that day .
Foster’s neighbors reportedly told police that they heard a commotion at some point Wednesday morning and one of them described a vehicle matching a sport-utility vehicle owned by Handley. Police located Handley in the parking Deaconess Cross Pointe. Handley told investigators he was there because he wanted to admit himself. Before that though, he also went to the Deaconess Hospital emergency room for treatment of a hand injury that he said was sustained when he was trying to fold the pocket knife after the alleged attack, according to the affidavit.
According to court records, Handley was already facing charges from January 2013 of being a serious violent felon in possession of a firearm, neglect of a dependent and dealing cocaine but had been out on $5,000 cash bail since June 2013
Print this article Back to Top