Man Critically Injured In Shootout With Officers

Lyman Dawson, 22, In Critical Condition

A man was hospitalized in critical condition Sunday after a shootout that involved three Shelbyville police officers, Indiana State Police said.

Lyman Dawson, 22, was shot several times at the corner of Colescott and Harrison streets, ISP Capt. Dave Bursten said.

Dawson fired at least one shot at officers, Bursten said, resulting in the three officers firing on him, striking him multiple times.

Investigators said the shootout happened after Dawson tried to break into a vehicle at a Family Video store nearby, RTV6's Myrt Price reported.

Police said Dawson also broke into a home in the 700 block of Elm Street before the shootout.

“On Harrison Street, Dawson is alleged to have shot Ryan Rooks, who was in his upstairs apartment in the 700 block of Harrison Street. Rooks is reported to have yelled toward Dawson asking what all the noise was about, which is when Dawson raised his pistol and shot toward Rooks, striking him in the leg,” Bursten said.

Dawson left that home and broke into the basement of George Goble in the 700 block of Harrison Street, police said.

"The guy who is in question, actually walked up on us, and I asked him what was going on and he said, and he said he was there to start some trouble," Goble said. "We never even made it into the house when two shots rang out, and that's when we hit the floor. I told my son that something was wrong. (Dawson) was just real giddy and out of control. We are very fortunate, I thank God that we're here. I don't know why he didn't try to shoot us because he was there at my back door."

Dawson walked away and made contact with three police officers which lead to the shootout, ISP said.

"There was some type of encounter between everyone and that's what we're still sorting through, to determine what happened, but as a result of that encounter, the officers felt it was necessary to shoot at the suspect, and the suspect was hit several times," Bursten said.

Dawson was flown by medical helicopter to Methodist Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition Sunday afternoon.

ISP investigators said the investigation is ongoing and the three Shelbyville police officers have been placed on paid administrative leave. Their names weren't immediately released.

"Investigations of this nature can take weeks to complete," Bursten said. "Once finished, the investigation will be submitted to the Shelby County Prosecutor's Office for review and action as deemed appropriate."

Print this article Back to Top