Police: Bisard Was Joking Seconds Before Crash

Transcription Outlines Messages Sent Between Officers

David Bisard was joking with another officer on his in-car computer seconds before he slammed into a group of motorcyclists stopped at a red light, killing one, records show.

Indianapolis police on Thursday released a transcript of the messages sent back and forth between the officers in the minutes leading up to the Aug. 6 crash.

More: Read Full Report | Transcript Of Officer David Bisard's Computer Conversation

An internal police investigation released Wednesday showed Bisard voluntarily dispatched himself to help serve a warrant at 11:17 a.m.

He was operating with lights and sirens running, a violation of department policy on non-emergency runs, and was traveling at 73 mph in a 40 mph zone, weaving in and out of traffic, investigators said.

At the same time, police said Bisard was sending and receiving electronic messages not related to police business on the laptop in his vehicle.

At 11:18:11 a.m., Bisard typed, "Why not?" in response to a message from Officer Joseph Maxey that said, "Don't show up with ketchup & mustard all over your shirt," referring to the Indiana State Fair.

Maxey responded, "Its (sic) not tactical" at 11:18:39, to which Bisard typed, "It smells good" at 11:19:03.

The next message, the last in the conversation, was sent by Maxey at 11:20:04 a.m. and reads, "I dare u to show up with a big ass elephant ear."

At 11:21:42, Bisard radioed in that he had been involved in a personal-injury accident and that he needed an ambulance right away.

"I need a medic rush to, uh, five six and Brendon Park Way. I've been involved in a PI accident. I've hit a motorcycle and there's two people down. Actually there's three people down," Bisard said over the radio, according to the internal report. "Rush, please rush."

Investigators that compiled the report called the crash preventable.

Eric Wells, 30, was killed in the crash, while Mary Mills, 47, and Kurt Weekly, 44, were seriously injured.

It was later determined that Bisard had a blood alcohol content of 0.19 after the crash, but alcohol-related charges were later dropped because the blood draw had been obtained illegally, prosecutors said.

The internal investigation found that poor crash scene management and conflicting policies within the department led to the botched investigation.

Bisard declined to be interviewed as part of the internal investigation. He has been recommended for termination.

TheIndyChannel originally incorrectly attributed parts of the conversation between Bisard and Maxey based on information provided by police. The quotes of the transcript have been corrected.