Police Think 3-Year-Old Scaled Fence Before Pool Drowning

Investigators: No Wrongdoing In Boy's Drowning Death

Investigators said Wednesday that a 3-year-old boy likely climbed a 6-foot locked fence to get to an apartment complex swimming pool in which he drowned Tuesday afternoon.

Police were called to the Horizons Apartments, near Interstate 465 and Mann Road on Indianapolis' southwest side, just after 4 p.m., when a 10-year-old girl spotted Isaiah Inman in the water.

The boy was taken to Riley Hospital for Children in critical condition, but he died a little before 5 p.m.

Investigators said there is no indication that the boy's death was anything other than a tragic accident, 6News' Jennifer Carmack reported.

Police said the girl saw the boy climb the fence, get into the water and go toward the deep end before she contacted her parents.

"This kid was a pretty good-sized 3-year-old kid … had been seen before climbing the trees," said Sgt. Matt Mount. "So climbing the fence apparently wasn't something out of his reach."

Investigators said the boy's 23-year-old mother told them that she laid down for a nap at about 1:30 p.m. with the boy and his 2-year-old sister, but when she awoke, the boy was gone.

"When she woke up and realized what had happened, she ran out here and checked the playground first, because when he had gotten out of the house before, the child had gone to the playground," Mount said.

Inman's mother went into the pool, pulled the boy out and began performing CPR before emergency medical crews arrived, police said.

"She dove in, and she can't swim herself," said David Moore, Isaiah's grandfather. "She dove in that damn pool and got him out of the 7 foot."

Investigators said Inman's mother talked to Child Protective Services Tuesday night and that they determined there was no wrongdoing.

"She had child protection locks on the doors, on the things inside the house, but this 3-year-old had been able before to open this door," Mount said.

Stuffed animals and balloons were left at the pool Wednesday as the apartment community mourned.

"I can't even imagine losing a child, and I'm not really ready to make any snap judgments about anything because you don't know," said Terrill Allen, who lives in the neighborhood. "You don't know what little kids can do."

"He was just taken from us too soon," Moore said as he choked back tears.

The 2-year-old girl was returned to the custody of her mother.