News

Actions

Trump, IN campaign director Suzie Jaworowski say supposed apology for Serbian bombings a 'hoax'

Posted: 4:10 PM, Oct 13, 2016
Updated: 2016-10-13 16:11:13-04
Trump, IN campaign director Suzie Jaworowski say supposed apology for Serbian bombings a 'hoax'

INDIANAPOLIS -- Donald Trump's Indiana state director denies coordinating an interview between the candidate and a Serbian newsmagazine and says she has "no idea" how her name came up in the first place.

"Regarding the article about a media interview with a Serbian politician and Mr. Trump via my email, this is completely false," Suzie Jaworowski said in a statement Thursday. "I have never served as a conduit to interview Mr. Trump for anyone."

The story was first published Thursday by Newsweek , who reported that Trump "issued an apology" for the U.S. decision to bomb Serbia during the 1990s.

An online translation of the article from Serbian newsmagazine Nedeljnik quotes Trump as saying the U.S. bombings were "a mistake" and that former President Bill Clinton's administration made "a mess" in the Balkans.

Trump's senior communications advisor Jason Miller also released a statement Thursday calling the article a hoax and demanding an apology from Newsweek.

"Mr. Trump never gave an interview to the Serbian weekly magazine Nedeljnik as falsely reported by the discredited Newsweek, nor was such an interview conducted through our Indiana State Director," Miller said. "This was a hoax and we look forward to receiving a formal retraction and apology from all involved.”

Newsweek reports that Nedeljnik's managing editor, Marko Prelevic, said the interview was conducted through email with "Suzanne Ryder Jaworowski."

Jaworowski told RTV6 that claim is false.

"I can tell you they used my name from my Facebook profile, so maybe they found me there," Jaworowski said.

Jaworowski previously served as co-chair for Carly Fiorina's primary campaign in Indiana. She joined the Trump campaign in April as a senior adviser and Indiana state director.