Power Trouble Lingers After Ike Strikes Indiana

Thousands Still Without Power

Thousands of Hoosiers in all parts of the state were still without power Monday morning after the remains of Hurricane Ike tore through Indiana with winds that gusted over 60 mph Sunday.

The storm, also blamed in six deaths in Indiana quickly moved through the state, leaving toppled trees and mangled power lines in its wake.

Duke Energy reported about 110,000 customers without power in much of the southern half of the state as of early Monday, with the largest outages in Clark, Floyd and Monroe counties. A total of about 300,000 outages had been reported since Sunday morning, the utility said on its Web site.

“This may be the most significant storm our company has ever experienced in Indiana in terms of number of customers affected at the peak,” said Duke Energy Indiana President Jim Stanley.

Duke said power will likely not be restored to thousands of customers in the Clinton, Martinsville, Plainfield, Sullivan, Carmel, Noblesville and Franklin communities until Tuesday.

Indianapolis Power and Light said about 3,600 customers were still without power early Tuesday morning, down from about 50,000 at the height of the storm. It could be Wednesday before all of them get power back.

Chase Kelley of Vectren said about 35,000 customers in southwest Indiana were without power Sunday, and it might be Wednesday or Thursday before electricity will be restored there.

RushShelby Energy Electric Cooperative, which serves Rush, Shelby, Fayette and Franklin Counties, had 1,200 customers without power Monday morning, down from about 8,000 on Sunday night. Company officials said they expect power to be restored to all customers later Monday.

Homeland Security estimated 200,000 people were without power statewide late Sunday night.

The inaugural Red Bull Indianapolis GP was halted eight laps from the finish because of heavy rain and wind. Two fans were injured when a tent collapsed on the infield of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but their injuries were not life-threatening.

"It felt like hurricane conditions because we had to turn sideways because we were getting hit so hard with rain," said Jeff Bunch of Louisville, Ky. "The gusts were coming up pretty strong, probably 60 mph."

The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory for the Indianapolis area after a 63 mph gust was reported.