Wells Family Files Suit In Bisard Case

Family Seeks Millions Of Dollars

The family of a man who died when an Indianapolis police officer hit a group of motorcyclists at a red light earlier this year filed suit against the city, police and the officer, seeking millions.

Attorneys who represent the family of Eric Wells, 30, released the five-page lawsuit and discussed details at a Monday afternoon news conference.

Officer David Bisard was typing on his in-car computer and was drunk when he hit the motorcyclists, Indianapolis police said, killing Wells and injuring two other motorcyclists.

Public outrage in the wake of a botched investigation of the crash put pressure on Indianapolis leaders that persists months after the incident.

Alcohol-related charges against Bisard were dropped because the blood draw wasn't handled properly. Details of an internal investigation issued months later blamed poor crash scene management and confusion over policies.

Officers at the scene of the crash said they didn't suspect Bisard was drinking.

"We're gonna depose everybody that was at the scene, particularly the supervisors," said Linda Pence, an attorney representing the Wells family. "I want to know exactly what happened there, why they stood around him in a protective circle."

Wells' attorneys hope to get testimony from Bisard, Indianapolis Police Chief Paul Ciesielski and Marion County Public Safety Director Frank Straub to testify.

In September, the Wells family filed a tort claim, notifying the city that they planned to seek $3.8 million, but there are laws in similar cases that limit the amount of damages a family can recover to $700,000, 6News' Dan Spehler reported.

Among expenses detailed in the Wells claim were $14,000 in funeral expenses, more than $2,800 in hospital bills and more than $7,000 for Wells' motorcycle.

Wells' wife planned to seek $2.5 million in compensation for the loss of her husband, considering what he would have made at his job over his lifetime.

Wells and his wife had been married just 22 months before the crash.

Bisard remains suspended, pending termination from the Indianapolis Metro Police Department.