INDIANAPOLIS -- If you were planning to go downtown to celebrate on December 31, you'll have to find a new location to party this year.
Downtown Indy Inc. has canceled their annual New Year's Eve celebration on Georgia Street for the foreseeable future.
Downtown Indy Inc. cites cost and the unpredictability of the weather as reasons for canceling the party, but they say with the appropriate sponsorships they are open to re-starting the NYE party sometime in the future.
This would have been the fifth year for the NYE event, which has drawn crowds as large as 40,000 people two years ago.
Between 5-6,000 people attended last year's event due to the brutally cold temps and the event was also cut short.
“We’re disappointed that we’re unable to continue offering this free event for the community this year,” said Bob Schultz, senior vice president of events and marketing for Downtown Indy, Inc. “In the end, with the increasing costs of appropriately staging the annual civic celebration on Georgia Street that required extensive lighting, outdoor heating, sound equipment, staging, security, emergency readiness, staffing, etc., we would not be prudent stewards of our nonprofit resources to continue. With that said, we have especially appreciated the Indiana Union Construction Industry’s support as our top presenting sponsor these past four years.”
In lieu of this year's NYE event, Downtown Indy suggests Hoosiers attend some of the other pre-schedule events available around the city this NYE including:
- Countdown to Noon, The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Family New Year’s Eve, Indiana State Museum, 6 – 9 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve Party with The Doo!, The Rathskeller, The Doo! performs from 9 p.m. – 1 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve: A Night at Studio 54, The Pavilion at Pan Am, 9 p.m. – 2 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve Bash at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, begins at 8 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve Masquerade Ball, Union Station, 8:30 p.m. – 1:30 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve at Howl at the Moon, begins at 7 p.m.
MORE TOP STORIES | Despite similarities, police call links between Delphi and St. Louis attack are 'premature' | FBI says Noblesville shooting was preventable | Kokomo HS apologizes for students' vulgar sign during Western game | Kokomo mother says district didn't do enough after daughter attacked on bus | McDonalds manager accused of taking photo of young boy in bathroom stall
Top Trending Videos